- 100g sultanas
- 6 tbsp Amaretto liquer
- 4-6 fresh figs, cut into 1 cm slices
- 3 medium-sized pears, cut into very/paper thin slices
- 100g caster sugar & 2 extra tbsp
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 175g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch sea salt
- 120ml milk
- Melted butter to grease cake tin
- Place sultanas into a bowl and cover with 2 tbsp Amaretto liquer, cover with cling film and leave to macerate for a few hours, in this time, the sultanas will plump up in the liquer.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F) and grease the inside grooves of a 8”/21cm cake tin. Set aside until required.
- In a heavy-based saucepan, add 1 tbsp Amaretto, 1 tbsp caster sugar and stir to combine. Add the sliced figs to the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes over a medium-high heat to caramelise the fruit, then remove and place the figs on the bottom of the cake tin. Scatter with 1/3 of the macerated sultanas then return the pan to the heat and repeat the same above process with 2 pears (retaining 1 for later), once caramelised, top the figs and sultanas with the pears and again scatter with some more sultanas, retaining 1/3 for later after the cake is cooked.
- To make the cake batter: place the eggs into the bowl of a stand mixer along with the sugar and honey and beat for 5 mins until light and creamy. Add the butter in 4 or 5 batches continuing to beat the mixture on medium speed until butter is well incorporated and batter smooth, then add in the sour cream before adding the flour, ground ginger, milk and a pinch of sea salt. Continue to beat the cake mixture for a few extra minutes – scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally with a spatula. Pour the cake batter over the pears/figs and sultanas in the cake tin. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and skewer text comes out dry.
- To make the pear topping; place 2 tbsp Amaretto into a saucepan and heat gently, add in the remaining pear slices and cook in the warm liquer for 10 minutes until pear slices are golden and caramelised. Top the cake with the pears and scatter with the remaining sultanas. Serve warm with vanilla infused cream
Optional extra: Just before serving, warm 1/4 cup Amaretto in a saucepan and heat until reduced by 1/3, flambé the liquer and pour over the warm cake