- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbs light brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp milk
3 sheets butter puff-pastry
50g unsalted butter, melted
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored
1 cup (80g) flaked almonds
2 tbs runny honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, stir the cinnamon into the brown sugar until well combined. Reserve 1 tbs cinnamon sugar and set aside.
- Combine egg yolk and milk in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Lay 1 pastry sheet on a clean board, brush liberally with melted butter and scatter with one-third of the cinnamon sugar. Lay a second pastry sheet on top and repeat process to create 3 layers, finishing with a layer of melted butter and cinnamon sugar. Cut the apple into very small cubes and scatter over the sugared pastry along with most of the flaked almonds. Tightly roll up the pastry sheets to form a Swiss roll shape and brush the long, open end with water to seal the pastry. Brush with the egg yolk mixture, reserving some of the mixture.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into 2.5cm-thick slices and carefully transfer to the lined baking tray. Lay each spiral flat on the tray. Brush with any remaining egg yolk mixture and scatter with the reserved 1 tbs cinnamon sugar and a few extra flaked almonds. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden and cooked.
- Meanwhile, for the glaze, gently warm the honey and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Take care as honey can boil very quickly and easily if you have the heat too high.
- Remove the cinnamon swirls from the oven and liberally brush the tops with the warm vanilla and honey mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops of the swirls with caster sugar, then return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until pastry is golden, sticky and crisp. Serve pastries warm or at room temperature.
This recipe was featured in ABC Delicious Magazine, March 2012