- 1 free-range, organic chicken
10g fresh black truffle
75g softened unsalted butter
3 large cloves garlic, peeled
5g extra fresh black truffle for garnish
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the gravy:
- 500ml chicken stock
¼ cup white wine
½ cup light pouring cream
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C (350˚F)
- Into a mixing bowl add the butter, then using a fine micro plane, grate the 10g of fresh black truffle, followed by the peeled garlic cloves into the softened butter, combine all three ingredients together thoroughly.
- Thoroughly pat the chicken dry all over with a piece or two of paper towel. Using clean fingers, gently and carefully separate the skin from the breast then add half the butter under the skin and rub it into the chicken breast, spreading it out as evenly and widely as you can ~ be careful not to tear the skin as it can happen easily (I find it happens more so with better quality, free-range birds, so take care at this stage).
- Place chicken into a roasting tin (pref. metal) and liberally rub the remaining truffle butter all over the outside skin of the chicken, onto the legs and wings and basically all over the bird, then drizzle with a tablespoon or so of olive oil and season with freshly ground black pepper and a small amount of crushed sea salt flakes.
- Roast chicken in the pre-heated oven for 1-1½ hours depending on the size of your chicken until the skin is golden brown and juices run clear and meat cooked through. Remove from oven (retaining the juices in the pan which you set aside) grate remaining 5g fresh truffle (again using the fine micro plane) over the top of the chicken then allow to rest for 15 minutes before transferring to a serving platter.
- To make the gravy, skim off any excess oil from the roasting juices and discard then add the remaining juices to a small saucepan. Add the chicken stock and wine, bring to the boil over high heat then reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until reduced by half, then add the cream, combine well and simmer over low heat for a further 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving jug and serve warm with the truffle garlic chicken.