- 1 tbs olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
250g good quality bacon, chopped
2 small red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
Large handful fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
2 tbs pine nuts
1/4 cup (60ml) white wine
2 x 400g cans Italian chopped tomatoes
400g bucatini or other long pasta
Grated Parmesan, to serve
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes then add the garlic and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the bacon to pan and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring, until bacon is almost golden and crispy.
- Add chillies, basil and pine nuts to the pan and stir to combine. Add the white wine to deglaze the pan, scraping all the bits up off the pan base.
- Add the tomatoes and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes to infuse flavours (add a little water, if needed).
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to packet instructions or until al dente. Drain and return to the pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil then add the pasta sauce and stir to combine.
- Divide among serving bowls and serve with grated parmesan cheese.