- 3 frozen shortcrust pastry sheets, thawed
1/2 cup (40g) flaked almonds
2 x 670g jars pitted morello cherries, drained
1 tbs amaretto* or brandy
300g caster sugar, plus extra 2 tbs to sprinkle
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cream of tartar
Icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Grease six 12cm loose-bottomed tart pans and line with the pastry, trimming any excess. Prick with a fork, then line with baking paper and fill with baking weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and weights and bake for a further 8-10 minutes until golden.
- Scatter almonds on a separate baking tray and bake, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- Place cherries in a bowl with amaretto and 2 tbs caster sugar, then stir well to coat. Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg whites in an electric mixer to soft peaks. With the motor running, add remaining 300g sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, allowing each to be incorporated before adding the next, until stiff and glossy. Add vinegar, vanilla and cream of tartar, then whisk briefly to combine.
- Drain cherries and divide among pastry cases. Transfer meringue to a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm plain nozzle and pipe over the cherries. (Alternatively, spoon meringue over cherries.)
- Place the tartlets on a baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes until the meringue is golden. Scatter with toasted flaked almonds, dust with icing sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.
* An almond liqueur from bottle shops.