By Trissa: www.trissalicious.com
- 1 Loaf Brioche, cut into about 18 slices and crust removed
- 6 egg yolks
- 175g caster sugar
- 300ml cream
- 250ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 125g salted butter, softened
- 180 grams of dark chocolate, chopped finely
- Place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale.
- Mix the milk, cream and vanilla bean in a pot and bring the mixture to a simmer. Pour a quarter of the scalded milk into the egg yolk mixture and whisk. Pour the rest of the mixture on to the egg yolk mixture and whisk continuously. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, butter the brioche slices and cover the bottom of an over proof dish (I used a 9 inch round cake dish) with half of the bread. Sprinkle half of the chocolate. Add the other half of the brioche and then top again with the rest of the chocolate.
- Pour half of the custard mixture and let rest for 30 minutes. Then pour the rest of the custard mixture and let soak for at least 1 hour. When ready to use, pre-heat your oven to 130C and bake the pudding in a bain marie for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Cool slightly and then sprinkle with icing sugar if you wish.