- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 650g brown mushrooms, sliced
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 450g pasta shells
- 3.5 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and nutmeg and sauté until mushrooms are golden brown and tender (about 7-8 minutes).
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in cream. Remove mushroom mixture from heat.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain but reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Return pasta to the pot, add mushroom mixture, 2.5 cups cheese, half parsley and reserved cooking liquid. Toss over medium heat until sauce coats pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix in remaining parsley and transfer pasta to a serving bowl. Serve with remaining grated Parmesan.