These are great little tasty pies which are perfect for enjoying with a cold beer as a snack, or used as a party canape. From what I am told, in Brazil people often fill them with prawns but sometimes chicken and also heart of palm.
- 4 cups plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 100g butter
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1 onion, finely diced & 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 roasted red peppers (1 used ones from a jar), roughly chopped
- 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1.5 teaspoons hot chilli sauce
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Small handful parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 500g green prawn meat, cleaned and chopped into small chunks
- 1 egg yolk and a little milk
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F
- To make the pastry, add the flour, eggs, light olive oil, water and salt into the bowl of a food processor or stand mixer and mix until a smooth and soft dough forms note; it should not be too sticky to the touch. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently form into a ball, wrap in cling film/glad wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- To make the filling, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large frying pan and warm over medium heat then add the onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes until soft. Add the chopped peppers,tomatoes followed by all the other ingredients stir to combine together then finally add the chopped prawns. Coat well in the mixture and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Season with a little salt and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper.
- Butter 2 x 12 hole cupcake tins. Remove pastry from the fridge and roll out to a thickness of approx. 0.5cm (1/4) on a lightly floured surface. Then using a plain round cookie cutter, cut 24 circles large enough to fill your cup cake tin holes, also cut 24 slightly smaller pastry lids. Note: the pastry is pretty elastic so you may have to lightly re-roll each cut circle a little as it tends to shrink a little once cut out.
- Line each cupcake hole with a circle of pastry before filling each case generously with the prawn filling, topping with a pastry lid. Brush with egg wash and bake for 30-40 minutes or until pies are golden brown and pastry is cooked through. Serve warm.
Makes 24 pies