- 4 large free-range organic eggs
- 400g Tipo 00 pasta flour
- 2 large shallots, very finely diced
- 6 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 long red chilli, de-seeded & very finely diced
- 2 large lemons
- Large handful fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Olive oil for cooking
- Sea salt flakes & freshly ground black pepper
- Add flour and eggs to the bowl of a food processor and whizz to form a ball of dough, turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead for 30 seconds, then wrap in cling film and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Fill a large pot with salted water, bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Remove pasta dough from fridge, cut into 4 pieces and run each one through your pasta maker from the widest setting (1 on mine ~ I use a bog-standard Imperia Pasta Maker) ensuring you are producing a smooth, hole-free and even pasta as you work your way up the settings (going from the widest (1) to the thinnest (6) as you are rolling the dough through the machine). Note: Stop rolling at setting 5 ~ I have found going all the way to 6 makes the pasta too thin and you end up with sloppy, noodle like spaghetti which cooks in 3 second and ends up a gloopy mess.
- Run the pasta sheets (keeping them very well floured as you go to avoid sticking) thought the spaghetti cutter on the pasta machine. Add all the cut spaghetti onto a baking tray and toss liberally in pasta flour to keep all the strands loose and separated.
- Add the spaghetti to the boiling water and cook for 2-3 mins or until al dente (Note: pasta this thin and fresh cooks in literally minutes, so take care at this stage not to over cook it) drain (keeping all but about 1/3 cup pasta water in the pot) rinse pasta well under cold water then return to the pot containing the small amount of cooking water.
- Heat 1/3 cup of olive oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and warm over medium heat, add the shallot and garlic and fry together for 3 – 4 minutes, then add the finely diced long red chilli, juice and grated zest of 1 lemon cook for 2-3 minutes. Using tongs or a pasta spoon, add the cooked spaghetti to the pan, along with 1 – 2 tablespoons pasta water, tossing everything together well. Cook in the pan for a further minute then turn out onto one large serving platter or 4 individual ones.
- Into the same pan add a tablespoon of olive oil, the juice and zest of the remaining lemon, dried chilli flakes, chopped mint leaves and lots of freshly ground black pepper and a pinch or crushed sea salt flakes. Cook for a further minute or so to infuse all the flavours then pour over the pasta and serve immediately with extra lemon wedges and lots of freshly ground black pepper.