- 2 fresh bay leaves*
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
2 x 300g skinless salmon fillets
1 cup (200g) basmati rice
1/2 cup (75g) pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Olive oil, to drizzle
1/2 cup (70g) slivered almonds
Pinch caster sugar
1 cup (120g) frozen baby peas
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon,
plus juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (pimenton)*
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
Chopped parsley and dill, to serve
Tangy yoghurt dressing
- 1 cup (280g) natural yoghurt
Juice 1 lemon
Small handful dill, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Fill a saucepan with 3 cups (750ml) water, add bay leaves and peppercorns and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-7 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse. Add salmon fillets to the pan to completely submerge in the liquid, then cover and remove from heat. Allow the salmon to poach in the hot liquid for 15 minutes or until cooked but still pink in the centre. Remove salmon from poaching liquid and allow to cool slightly, then when cool enough to handle, flake fish. Set aside to cool completely.
- Cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water according to packet instructions. Set aside to cool.
- Spread pepitas on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season. Spread slivered almonds on a separate baking tray, then place both trays in the oven for 10-12 minutes until seeds are golden and toasted, and almonds are lightly golden. Set aside allow to cool.
- Half-fill a small saucepan with cold water, add sugar and bring to the boil over high-heat. Add the peas and boil for 2-3 minutes, then drain and plunge peas into a large bowl of iced water. When cool, drain and set aside.
- Half-fill the same saucepan with cold water, add eggs and bring to the boil, then cook for 5-6 minutes. Drain eggs and plunge into a bowl of cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel eggs, halve and set aside.
- For the tangy yoghurt dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To assemble the salad, place rice in a large bowl with the flaked salmon. Add extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest and juice, paprika, cumin, fennel seeds, pepitas, almonds, drained peas, parsley and dill. Mix to combine well and season to taste. Transfer to a serving dish, top with egg and serve with the tangy yoghurt dressing.
* Fresh bay leaves are from selected greengrocers. Smoked paprika (pimenton) is from gourmet food shops and delis.