This is a super recipe for a weekend brunch on a hot Summer’s day or even in the middle of winter if you fancy something fruity and cold. Use whatever berries you can get for the garnish, you could just run with passionfruit if you wish, the berries will add to the dish visually but the semifreddo itself is already packed full of fruity flavour so you won’t miss out if you don’t garnish with extra berries. If you don’t have a loaf tin use a tupperware container instead or even a pudding bowl, you could even pour the mixture into popsicle moulds and freeze. It’s a very versatile recipe.
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
1/3 cup caster sugar
- 300 ml cream
- 2 mangoes, peeled
- 4 nectarines
- 6 passion-fruit
- Juice 1 lime
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted in oven for 10 mins
- Handful fresh berries (cherries, blackcurrants, strawberries ~ basically whatever you can get your hands on)
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- 3 passion-fruit
- Handful mint leaves
- Line a standard loaf tin with cling film/plastic wrap, allowing some of the wrap to over-hang the sides.
- Half-fill a medium-sized saucepan with water and set over simmering water.
- Place egg, egg yolks and sugar in a medium-sized heatproof bowl and whisk using a hand-held electric whisk until thick and creamy.
- Place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and continue to whisk for another 4-5 minutes or until mixture grows thick and creamy and doubles in volume. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Cut nectarines in half and remove pit, place flesh in a blender along with the mango flesh. Whizz until smooth.
- Spoon passion-fruit pulp into a sieve and push through into the blender, discard the seeds. Add lime juice and blitz everything together to combine.
- Pour into the thickened egg yolk mixture.
- Place cream into the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand whisk beat until just thickened. Add half to the egg mixture and gently fold until just combined. Add the remaining cream and fold everything together.
- Pour into the lined loaf pan and cover the top with the overhanging wrap.
- Chill in the freezer for 6-8 hours or overnight preferably.
- Remove from freezer, unwrap from plastic and turn out onto a serving plate.
- Garnish with berries, toasted nuts and passion-fruit pulp.
- Cut into slices and serve.