My husband is gleaming with pride over this recipe ~ aka my first recipe for lamingtons ~ the all-Aussie national dessert. Lamingtons are basically large cubes of day-old vanilla sponge, coated in a cocoa based topping and then rolled in shredded coconut. I find them at times a tad dry/boring and generally you have to pair them with a big mug of tea. These are my glammed-up mocha chocolate fudgy version. I also though making them chocolate/mocha would be nice and I coat mine in real chocolate as opposed to cocoa. Some true blue Aussies will be screaming at me for my bastardisation of a classic recipe, but I don’t care, these are fab and well worth the risk to national pride being dented and me being the subject of a national crimes-against-lamingtons witch hunt.
P.S. there is a national divide on whether lamingtons should indeed contain jam at all, general consensus I have found is no, but a lot of people still do use it, I have but opted to cherry which pairs wonderfully with the chocolate.
For the sponge:
- 120 g butter, softened
- 120 g caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 120g self raising flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon cocoa, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 3 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 60 g good quality dark chocolate, melted
You will also need:
- 1/2 cup cherry jam
- 400 g good quality dark chocolate, melted
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 5 or 6 large handfuls shredded shredded coconut
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C/350˚F.
- Grease and line 2 x rectangular 20cm x 26cm x 6cm cake tins. Set aside
- Cream butter and sugar together in a stand mixer (or using an electric hand whisk) for 10 minutes until really light, thick and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time and beat over medium speed until incorporated.
- Add in the sifted flour, baking powder and cocoa and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Combine coffee and boiling water together in a cup, allow to cool a little.
- Melt chocolate in stages in a microwave, allow to cool for 5 minutes then add along with the coffee to batter. Mix to combine.
- Divide batter evenly between the 2 x pre-lined cake tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewers comes out of the centre clean.
- Cool cakes on wires racks and then trim off the sides to make 2 perfect rectangles.
- Heat cherry jam in a small pot for a minute or two. Push through a sieve and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to re-thicken.
- Spread jam over the top of one of the sponge rectangles and sandwich the second on top. Place sandwiched cake in freezer for 30 minutes while you prepare the coating.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave or in a bowl set over a pot of water, Allow to cool slightly then sift in the icing sugar and add the milk. Stir.
- Remove cake from freezer and carefully cut into 12 squares.
- Place coconut into a large mixing bowl
- Very carefully dip each square in the chocolate coating and then roll in the shredded coconut ~ if cake is firm enough from the freezer, you can stick each square on a skewer and dip in the chocolate in this manner which will make it less messy on your fingers.
- Allow to cool on a cake rack.