These are great little cookies to make in batches and give as Xmas gifts tied up in glassine or clear plastic candy gift bags. You may get more than 48 cookies depending on how small you make them. To achieve a more styled look half way through baking remove the trays and add a few extra halved hazelnuts and chocolate chips to the tops of the cookies then return to the oven. I used chocolate chips which don’t melt too much during baking and hold their shape more-so. This is a good option for these cookies if you can get your hands on this form of chocolate.
Remember to melt your 100g of chocolate beforehand and sift your flour, that way you’ll have these cookies prepared in literally 10-15 mins before baking.
- 250g butter, cubed at room temp.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 100g chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons Nutella
- 3 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped or halved
- 230g chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180˚C (350˚F)
- Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick parchment or with silicone mats
- In the bowl of a food processor/stand mixer or using a hand-held mixer, beat together softened butter, caster sugar and brown sugar for 8-10 minutes until super creamy, smooth and fluffy.
- Add the cooled, melted chocolate and beat again lightly to combine.
- Crack in the 2 eggs, add the Nutella and combine.
- Add the flour, nuts and chocolate chips and stir to incorporate everything together thoroughly.
- Using a teaspoon distribute the mixture evenly over the two trays and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cookies are crisp and golden.