- 6-8 small brown onions
Olive oil, to fry, plus extra to drizzle
250g punnet cherry truss tomatoes
800g kipfler potatoes, scrubbed
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
2-3 thyme sprigs, leaves picked, plus extra sprigs to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Leaving the skin on, top and tail onions then cut in half horizontally.
- Place onion on a baking tray with the smaller cut side down, drizzle with olive oil and season well.
- Scatter tomatoes on a separate tray, drizzle with olive oil and season well.
- Place onion in the oven and roast for 40-50 minutes or until golden and caramelised. Place tomato in the oven for the final 20 minutes and cook until softened. Remove trays from the oven and cool slightly before removing the skin from the onion. Set onion and tomatoes aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, half-fill a large saucepan with cold, salted water and add potatoes. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10-12 minutes until a knife just about goes through the middle. Drain and cool slightly before slicing into 1cm rounds.
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large fry pan and fry potato, in batches, adding more oil if necessary, for 5-6 minutes until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Place potato in a bowl with onion, extra virgin olive oil, parsley and thyme. Season, toss to combine, then add tomatoes and mix gently.
- Serve with extra thyme.
This recipe was featured in ABC Delicious Magazine, March 2012