- 6 frozen shortcrust pastry sheets, thawed
700g (about 2 bunches) rhubarb,
trimmed, cut into 1cm-thick slices
5cm piece ginger, finely grated
1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar,
plus extra to sprinkle
6 (about 90g) soft Amaretti biscuits*, crumbled
1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tbs milk
Icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Grease six 12cm x 4cm round pie pans.
- Line each pie pan with a sheet of pastry, trimming to fit and reserving the excess pastry for the pie lids. Prick the pastry cases with a fork.
- Place rhubarb, ginger, caster sugar and amaretti biscuits in a bowl, stirring to combine, then spoon into pastry cases.
- Cut 6 round lids from the remaining pastry. Lightly brush the edges with water, then place on top of the pies, pinching the edges to seal. Prick the top to allow the steam to escape during cooking, then brush liberally with egg wash and sprinkle each with a pinch of caster sugar.
- Bake pies for 40 minutes or until golden.
- Dust with the icing sugar and serve warm.
* Soft Amaretti are Italian almond biscuits available from delis.