Original recipe featured in ABC Delicious Magazine ~ March 2013 Edition
1.5 kilos free-range pork shoulder on the bone
2 onions chopped
1 bulb garlic peeled
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
Olive oil to drizzle
8 roma tomatoes halved
1 x 750ml bottle red wine
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
1 cup basil leaves
2 tbsp chopped oregano leaves
Pappardelle and Parmesan to serve
- Preheat the oven to 140˚C/284˚F
- Scatter the onions and garlic cloves on the base of a roasting tin sit a roasting tin on top and position the pork on the rack season well with sea salt and black pepper drizzle liberally with olive oil pour half the bottle of red wine in the base of the tin
- Place in the oven for 6 hours check every now and then to make sure that the pan doesn’t dry up then add 1 cup of water at the same to prevent this happening.
- Place the roma tomatoes on a baking tray season drizzle with oil and roast with the pork for a final 2 hours. Remove from the oven place the tomatoes in blender with the roasted garlic cloves and onions from the base of the tin add the basil blend until you have a smooth sauce. Place in a pan with the canned tomatoes remaining red wine balsamic lemon zest and oregano season and simmer over a medium-low heat for 45 mins until well reduced.
- Meanwhile shred the pork discarding any fat and add to the sauce, cook for a further 15 minutes until reduced and thick serve with pappardelle pasta and parmesan cheese.