- 1kg pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tsp chopped sage leaves
- 70ml olive oil
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 3cm pieces
- 250g rindless free-range bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.25L (5 cups) free-range chicken stock
- 120g goat’s cheese
- Lightly toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas), to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the pumpkin, cumin, sage and 2 tbs oil in a large bowl and season, then toss to combine. Tip onto the tray, arrange in a single layer and roast for 10-15 minutes. Add apple and cook for a further 10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat another 2 tsp oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden. Set aside to drain on paper towel.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbs oil in the frypan. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt, then cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Transfer to a blender with pumpkin mixture, 2 cups (500ml) stock and half the cheese, then whiz until smooth. Return to pan with remaining 3 cups (750ml) stock. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until reduced slightly. Season.
- To serve, sprinkle bacon, seeds and remaining goat’s cheese over soup.
To make this a vegetarian dish simply omit the bacon.