12 cups (120g) cooked, pre-made popcorn
2 cups raw unsalted peanuts, shelled and skins off
150ml pouring cream
150g brown sugar
60g unsalted butter
1 tbsp vanilla essence
Sea salt (if popcorn is not already pre-salted)
- Preheat oven to 180˚C (350˚F)
- Place peanuts on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until toasted ~ be really careful to keep an eye on the nuts as (rather annoyingly) they can go from perfectly lightly roasted to burnt and useless in a split second (!)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, then add into a large mixing bowl along with popcorn. If popcorn you are using isn’t pre-salted, season with sea salt to taste now.
- Pour the cream into a small saucepan along with all other ingredients. Don’t forget the vanilla as I often almost miss this. Increase heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly then turn heat down to medium and continue to lightly boil/fast-simmer until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally. It won’t go really thick, you’re looking for a smooth pouring consistency.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool a little. When cool to touch, pour sauce all over popcorn and nuts and coat well and evenly. I find using clean hands the best way here.
- When well coated spread out on a baking tray ~ one which will fit in your fridge and chill the popcorn for about 20 mins before serving.