- 12 cup (75g) pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
12 cup (80g) sunflower seeds
125g plain flour
350g wholemeal flour, plus extra to dust
15g wheat germ*
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbs poppy seeds
1 tbs sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Scatter half the pepitas and sunflower seeds on a baking tray. Toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.
- Sift plain flour into a large mixing bowl, then sift in the wholemeal flour, wheat germ, bicarbonate of soda and 1 tsp salt. Stir together thoroughly to combine, then add the toasted pepitas and sunflower seeds.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture, then pour in the buttermilk and mix until a sticky dough forms. Transfer to a lightly floured surface.
- Gently knead the dough with floured hands before forming into 1 or 2 rounds (depending on whether you want 1 large or 2 smaller loaves).
- Using a sharp knife, cut a cross 1cm deep across the top of the loaf/loaves. Brush the top of the dough with a little water, then scatter the poppy and sesame seeds and the remaining pepitas and sunflower seeds on top. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
* Wheat germ is available from health food shops.