- 2 sweet potatoes, skin on
2 desiree potatoes, skin on
180g plain or 00 flour
Grated Parmesan and basil leaves, to serve
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C/350˚F (Fan-forced)
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 1-1.5 hours or until cooked through.
- Once cooked and while still warm, carefully remove potato skins and discard.
- Place cooked potato in a bowl. Pass potato through the fine setting of a potato ricer (from kitchenware shops) until smooth. Add a pinch of salt.
- Add the flour a little at a time, mixing well in between each addition. Continue this process until you have a smooth, velvet-like consistency, it may also still be a little sticky to touch – this is normal.
- Generously flour a clean bench top and roll one-third of the mixture into a long sausage approximately 2cm in diameter.
- Cut the dough into 2cm pieces and gently press each piece with the prongs of a fork to leave an imprint. Place prepared gnocchi on a floured baking tray. Repeat process with the remaining dough.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the gnocchi 8-10 at a time and cook for 20-30 seconds, until they rise to the top of the water. Be careful not to overcook or they’ll become rubbery in texture. Remove using a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Repeat with remaining gnocchi.
- Serve immediately with roasted red capsicum sauce (Recipe here), grated Parmesan and a few basil leaves.